Poison Prevention Awareness
As November settles in, our thoughts turn to turkey, pie, and other holiday treats. Our pets may be getting treats too, but there are some treats that are not safe for pets.
Most people are aware that chocolate is not safe for pets. As you or your children enjoy their chocolate this Thanksgiving, be sure to keep it out of reach of your cats and dogs. Chocolate contains theobromine, which we humans can digest easily. However, cats and dogs cannot digest it, and so it builds up in toxic levels in their system. A sign of ingesting chocolate is severe hyperactivity, vomiting, or diarrhea (usually people find a lot of eaten wrappers somewhere in the house too). If you think your pet has eaten chocolate, the usual treatment is to induce vomiting within two hours. Be sure to call us if you think your pet has eaten a large amount.
A second concern isn’t actually a treat at all; it’s bromethalin rodenticide, or rat poison. With the colder temperatures, mice or rats sometimes find their way into our homes, and a common fix is using rodenticide. Rat poison, if ingested by your pets, can have disastrous consequences, so be sure that your pets ( and children) have no way of accessing it. Signs of ingestion include loss of appetite, impaired movement, paralysis of hind limbs, muscle tremors, or seizures. It’s important to call as soon as possible if you believe your pet has ingested poison. Similar to treatment for chocolate ingestion, the vet may induce vomiting, administer activated charcoal, or use medication.
Both chocolate and poison ingestion are easily preventable with proper awareness. We know you care about your pets and their health, and we wish you a very happy, healthy holiday season!